Sunday, September 13, 2009

It's been a while

It's been a while since I posted to this. But I decided to begin posting on the current organization I'm with and my uphill battle to turn it into more than just a service-oriented organization.

Organizing Women

One of the main things that come up when I arrived at where I am at was that a very powerful women's organization had folded about a year before I arrived. It was a lesson in leadership development and training. But it also had to do with immigration and the transition from undocumented to resident. It seemed at least to the women in the group, that as members got their residency, they drifted a way from the group. I'm wondering if this has happened in other group around the country.

Other aspect involved the leadership training. I seemed that when the organization was under one grant, it recieved a lot of resources in capacity building including recruitment, retention, one-on-ones, and the like. Then this stopped. I'm not sure if the decline started at this point.

The women's organization was a promotora model, not really a traditional CO. So i'm interested in the intersection of the promotora model and the CO models. Well, write in and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment